Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Migration to XE3: ADO complete

If you've been following this (often tortuous) path of how we are going to migrate our 14 year old software from Delphi 6 to XE3, you'll know that our only real stumbling block was the fact we were using the now defunct ODBCExpress database component set. We needed to move to a different tool that was supported by XE3, and so we finally decided upon the dbGo ADO components that have been native with Delphi since Delphi 5.

It is with great satisfaction that I can report we have now moved all of the standard code over to the ADO components. There are still some bespoke utilities that we will come to later, but for now the standard software is up and running using ADO. It took us a little over two weeks of solid work to code out the old component set, and this was all done in Delphi 6 so that we could get ourselves to a point where, in theory, everything was working the same as before.

I'm delighted with the speed improvement we've seen in database access. I'm not sure whether this is because ADO is an improvement over ODBC, or the drivers are better, or whether the ADO components are more effective than the ODBCExpress components were. Probably a bit of everything.

It's kind of funny timing that just as we finished this refactoring, Embarcadero announced the purchase of AnyDac (now called FireDac). A few years ago when I first blogged about needing to move away from ODBCExpress, a few correspondents recommended AnyDac. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but ultimately I wanted to get away from a non-native third-party component set which is why we opted for dbGo. I'm pleased with this decision still, but I certainly would have given AnyDac a closer look had I known that it would become standard issue by the time we got to XE3.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my colleague Andrew for his collaboration on this task. I've been putting this off for a while now but having another pair of (safe) hands has given us the confidence to go for it, and Andrew has effortlessly ploughed through the same tedium as I have in order to get us to where we need to go.

So now, the next step is to open the code in XE3 and work through the Unicode warnings. I'll keep you posted.
Post a Comment